Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Surgery day came and went!!!!

So I was very nervous about my surgery this morning but they keep you talking and distracted long enough to not notice how long you are sitting there. So it's not too nerve wracking when you get into the back. That being said it was kind of quick. When they told me they were giving me a nerve block I kind of panicked. The nurse explained that they would stick a needle in my neck and that didn't make me happy. They gave me an iv which really hurt BTW. They always hurt more in the hand. Then they gave me anti-nausea drugs b/c I puke easy with anesthetic. And then they say they are putting something in my iv for sedation so they can do the block. When they put it in I immediately smell citrus. Weird, right? So I ask if that's normal and they say no not really. And then I say wow those drugs work fast. And I went out for a few minutes. At some point the Dr. and I marked my arm for surgery. When I woke up I was in the surgical room and they were giving me more drugs and taping my head to the headrest so it didn't fall during surgery. They said it was for safety. Then I realized just how "dead" my arm was. Then I was out again until the nurse woke me up.

Issues: The surgery went well. There was a labrum repair. The problem he ran into was that he didn't meet nearly the resistance he should have for a woman my age when he drilled into the bone. He said my bone is too soft. So now I can't start physical therapy for 3 weeks instead of 1. He wants to make sure his repair sticks and holds. I have a call in to my dr. to talk about it. And before I get helpful e-mails.... I take 1200 mgs of calcium a day and 4000 iu of D-3 a day amongst many other vitamins. So I shouldn't have this problem.

It's after 9pm and I am still blocked. It's gotten annoying now. It hurts to be numb so long. And my arm is "dead" and I can't move it. So I am typing this all with one hand! ugghh... it's getting old. If anyone wants to come around and sit with me.... I'm here.

Love and Hugs,
Chelley

No comments: