Monday, February 2, 2009

We've been busy....

I know, it's been a while. And for the very few of you who read my blog I'm sure you are wondering what has been going on that has kept me from writing.

I posted about our family baptism which was great. And it came at a wonderful time too. We couldn't have waited any longer b/c Bill just got sicker and sicker. He held out for that baptism though! Hillary went over and blessed him as Connor's godparent after the ceremony at the church. We knew that Bill was getting worse due to his need for IV pain management. My mom and I went to visit him and brought him a video of the baptism so he could see the wonderful sacrament that had taken place. He was so happy. He thanked us profusely for allowing him to take part in the event in every way he possibly could at that time.

Connor and I went to visit Bill in the hospital on Tuesday, January 13th. Connor had finished his pinewood derby car so he brought it to show Granddaddy. He drove the car up and down Bill's legs. He leg Granddaddy drive the car too. Then he drove it on the walls of his room and even eventually got it on the floor where you would think it belonged. Dianne left for the afternoon and Connor and Bill had a chance to visit for another few minutes together before we left.

After one week in the hospital they released him back to the nursing and rehabilitation center with pill pain management. He had a hard time and was in and out of it. We did not go and visit him even though I would have liked to b/c Will and I had talked to Connor about the fact that Granddaddy was getting worse and was in a lot of pain and visits would have to be very short if we did go. I wish I had taken him one more time in those last few days but the last visit Connor and Bill had was a good one. He was still in pain but comfortable enough to get through his final days there at the rehab center. Bill passed away in the wee hours of the morning on January 23rd, 2009.

He was in very good spirits right until the very end. He showed us how to live your life even in his dying. He was always bright and happy and thoughtful. With much love and caring he will certainly be missed. Connor has been doing ok. He has been upset as we expect but dealing rather well.

No comments: